Cornwall on Hudson Family & Divorce Lawyer
New York family and divorce laws are complicated, but the expansive nature of the legal concepts means you will probably need to address these issues at some point in life. However, the fact that you share relationships with other involved individuals does not make these cases easier. The parties typically have conflicting rights and opposing interests, and it is crucial to protect yourself, your family, and your future.
Legal representation is essential, so rely on the Law Office of Robert S. Sunshine, P.C. to advise you. We can explain options and develop a strategy that aligns with your goals. Please contact us to schedule a consultation with a Cornwall on Hudson family & divorce lawyer, and check out some basics about the law.
Comprehensive Representation in Family Law Cases
One of the most common cases in the category of family law is divorce, in which spouses legally end their marriage. We will advise you in the three key topics that come up in these cases:
- Property Division: New York is an equitable distribution state, which means all marital assets are divided fairly between the parties. Separate property acquired before the marriage belongs to the individual.
- Alimony: Spousal support may be appropriate when necessary to balance the financial disparities between the parties. If proper, a judge will order the type, amount, and duration.
- Issues Related to Children: Child custody and visitation are determined according to the child’s best interests, while child support is subject to statutory guidelines.
Plus, we handle a wide array of other family law cases, including:
- Prenuptial agreements;
- Paternity matters;
- Guardianships for minors and disabled adults;
- Adoptions; and,
- Domestic violence cases and orders of protection.
Guidance with the Legal Process
There are multiple options for addressing family law issues and working out disputes, and not all involve court. The Law Office of Robert S. Sunshine, P.C. will explain pros and cons based upon your situation. Plus, you will need help from a Cornwall on Hudson family law and divorce lawyer for:
- Settlement Discussions: Many family law cases are resolved by agreement, which gives you more control over the process. Parties can craft their own solutions, which is particularly important for child custody and visitation.
- Mediation: With some disputes, help from a trained mediator can often get the parties to compromise. Mediation is not binding, so you can still go to court.
- Contested Hearings: Litigation is the process for having a court decide family law disputes, and each side will have the chance to present arguments and evidence to support their position.
Trust a Cornwall on Hudson Family Law and Divorce Lawyer
As you can see from this description, there are important interests at stake when legal matters affect your closest relationships. For more information on the laws, please contact the Law Office of Robert S. Sunshine, P.C. to set up a case evaluation with a Cornwall on Hudson family law and divorce lawyer. Once we review your situation, we can advise you on next steps in the process.