Maybrook Family & Divorce Lawyer
New York family and divorce law covers a vast range of legal concepts, and the implications for your interests can be significant. You may be in the position of a spouse, parent, child, or other relation, so legal proceedings could impact your finances and future. Unless you know your rights and how to protect them, the consequences can be unfortunate.
Skilled legal representation is critical for these cases, and you can trust the Law Office of Robert S. Sunshine, P.C. to prioritize your needs. Our team specifically focuses on family law, so we are ready to guide you in negotiations and in court. Please contact us to schedule a case assessment with a Maybrook family & divorce lawyer. You may also benefit from reviewing some basics.
Overview of Our Legal Services
We handle all types of family law cases, whether we are appearing in court or working behind the scenes. Our areas of representation include:
Divorce: Property division is an issue most spouses will face in divorce, and New York applies the law of equitable distribution. All assets acquired during the marriage are split fairly between the parties. Alimony is another important issue, and courts may award it where appropriate to close financial gaps.
Children: Parents have rights and responsibilities regardless of whether they are married. As such, custody and visitation will come up in divorce and paternity cases. Judges decide these matters in accordance with the child’s best interests. Child support is governed by child support guidelines.
Other Family Law Matters: We are also prepared to assist with such cases as:
- Prenuptial agreements;
- Paternity disputes;
- Guardianship for minor children and disabled adults; and,
- Domestic violence cases and petitions for an order of protection.
Helping You Navigate the Legal Process
Guidance from a Maybrook family law and divorce lawyer is critical if you are involved in any of the cases mentioned above. It is important to be aware of the different options available and understand which are suitable for your situation. The Law Office of Robert S. Sunshine, P.C. will support you with:
- Settlement Agreements: Many parties can compromise on key issues in family law cases, taking advantage of such benefits as reduced cost and quicker time to resolution. You also have more power to create solutions that work for your family.
- Mediation: With this process, a trained mediator facilitates agreement by encouraging productive conversations.
- Litigation: A contested hearing is necessary for family law conflicts, and the process is a trial on disputes. Parties can present arguments, evidence, and witnesses to convince the judge to find in their favor.
Discuss Your Options with a Maybrook Family Law and Divorce Lawyer
An overview of the laws is helpful, but it is wise to trust our team at the Law Office of Robert S. Sunshine, P.C. for guidance with your case. Our team has extensive experience handling these matters, so we are prepared to fight for your rights. Please contact us to set up a consultation with a Maybrook family law and divorce lawyer today.