Warwick Family & Divorce Lawyer
You may not realize how New York family and divorce laws apply to different aspects of your life, until you have personal stakes in a case that affects your rights. Any legal issue can involve complex topics, but these matters also encompass emotional factors that lead to additional complications. Your interests are important, and representation is critical for protecting them.
Our team at the Law Office of Robert S. Sunshine, P.C. has extensive experience helping clients with the legal challenges, so we can develop a strategy for achieving your goals. Please contact us to schedule a case review with a Warwick family & divorce lawyer who will explain the relevant concepts. Details about our legal services and a summary of the laws is also helpful.
Legal Support with All Family Cases
Divorce is one of the most common types of family law cases, and there are three key issues involved with the proceedings:
- Property Division: All assets acquired during the marriage are considered marital property, and they are subject to equitable distribution under New York law. This means dividing assets according to what is fair, even if there is not an exact 50-50 split.
- Alimony: In cases where there is a significant financial gap between the parties, a judge may order spousal support. Details include type, amount, and duration.
- Minor Children: Custody and visitation work according to the child’s best interests, and child support is determined by statutory guidelines.
Our team will also assist with such family law cases as:
- Paternity of a child born to parents who are not married;
- Prenuptial agreements;
- Adoption, including stepparent, domestic, and international adoptions;
- Domestic violence and orders of protection; and,
- Guardianship matters.
Strategies for Family Law Proceedings
Not all cases must go to court and, in fact, many are resolved by agreement of the parties. Mediation is also an option for working out disagreements, and a trained mediator can often get them closer on compromise through productive conversations. Any unresolved disputes must go to court for a contested hearing, which is similar to litigation.
The Law Office of Robert S. Sunshine, P.C. will advocate on your behalf through any and all legal options. A Warwick family law and divorce lawyer will tackle such tasks as:
- Assessing goals and creating a sound legal strategy;
- Collecting evidence and handling discovery;
- Negotiating with other parties and opposing counsel in an attempt to work out disputes by agreement;
- Assisting with mediation; and,
- Representing you at a contested hearing on disputed issues, including presenting arguments, witnesses, and exhibits in support of your position.
A Warwick Family Law and Divorce Lawyer Will Protect Your Rights
This overview about the relevant laws is useful, but you will need experienced representation for guidance with a real-life case. For more information on the relevant laws, please contact the Law Office of Robert S. Sunshine, P.C. to set up a consultation. After reviewing your unique circumstances, a Warwick family law and divorce lawyer can provide personalized advice and explain what to expect.