Rye Family & Divorce Lawyer
You are not alone; roughly half of all marriages end in divorce. Furthermore, you should not think of yourself as on your own due to the fact that an attorney can be at your side for the duration of the divorce, helping you make the tough decisions and ensuring that your rights are protected. The Rye family & divorce lawyer at the Law Office of Robert S. Sunshine, P.C. have over 25 years of experience in divorce and all family law matters.
The amicable divorce process is sometimes the preferred option to the more contentious, traditional divorce that involves threats of going to court. Divorcing amicably requires that the parties are able to talk calmly with one another, are willing to negotiate in mediation, and see eye-to-eye on at least some of the key aspects of their divorce, such as equitable division of assets, child custody, spousal support, and child support.
Best Practices to Obtaining Your Divorce Goals in a Contested Divorce
With so much at stake, it can be easy to lose control of your emotions during a contentious child custody dispute or shouting match argument about who gets to continue living in the family house. But it is important to keep a cool head during these heated times. An attorney will not only file the necessary paperwork for you and negotiate the settlement of your divorce, but they will also guide you on what to do and what not to do. For example, posting negative comments about your spouse on social media can be used as fodder against you by the other side, showing that you are not a good influence on your child, for example. These best practices should be used both in and out of the courtroom:
- Always refrain from yelling, name-calling, threats, or using derogatory language
- Be as communicative with the other part as possible by answering calls, texts, and emails when appropriate
- Do your best to show the court your willingness to cooperate and find common ground with your spouse when it comes to the parenting plan
- Avoid posting anything on social media about your divorce or your spouse
- Never speak poorly about your spouse in front of your children
Most divorces can avoid the courtroom, but you and your attorney need to be prepared for a divorce by trial if the other party refuses to cooperate with you. While contested divorce is difficult, you will be able to get through it alongside your attorney.
Other Family Law Matters We Can Help Your Resolve
- Drafting pre or postnuptial agreements
- Obtaining an order of protection for domestic violence victims
- Petitioning the court for DNA paternity testing
- Enforcing court orders that are already in place
- Modifying existing court orders to fit your and/or your child’s needs
Contact a Rye Family Law & Divorce Lawyer Today
Give your future self a helping hand by choosing to work with an experienced Rye family law and divorce lawyer. Here at the Law Office of Robert S. Sunshine, P.C., we put our clients first. Contact us today at 845-735-1300 to schedule a free consultation.