Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Rockland & Westchester County Divorce Lawyer > Goshen Court Order Enforcement Lawyer

Goshen Court Order Enforcement Lawyer

After your divorce has been finalized, you may breathe a sigh of relief knowing that this daunting process is over. However, it’s not really over yet. In some cases, it could be just the beginning. Even though you have been through the legal documents numerous times, it is still possible that your ex-spouse will refuse to comply with the court orders. There may be court orders determining property division, alimony, child custody, visitation, and child support. Your spouse may have agreed to them at the time, but a change of heart can cause them to change their mind.

Enforcing a court order is not always an easy process. The Law Office of Robert S. Sunshine, P.C. is a Goshen court order enforcement lawyer who can help you understand your options. Schedule a consultation today to learn more.

Enforcing a Court Order in New York

To enforce a court order after a divorce, follow these steps:

  • Review the court order. Carefully read and understand the terms and provisions of the court order. Make note of any specific actions or obligations required by the parties involved.
  • Communicate with the other party. Contact the opposing party to inform them of the court order and request compliance. Provide them with a copy of the order if necessary.
  • Mediation or negotiation. If the opposing party is unwilling to comply with the court order, you may consider engaging in mediation or negotiation to resolve any disputes or misunderstandings. Mediation can be a useful tool to reach a solution and it is successful most of the time.
  • Contempt of court. In certain situations, if a party willfully disobeys a court order, you may file a motion for contempt of court. This means asking the court to hold the non-compliant party accountable for their actions. Consult with an attorney to determine the best course of action for your specific case.

Consider the Circumstances

It’s not uncommon for people to fall behind on alimony, child support, and other financial obligations due to circumstances beyond their control, like job loss or disability. In many cases, they want to do the right thing, but they don’t know how to get started. They are unaware of modification orders.

There are many options, including a credit or property lien or a wage withholding order. Under New York law, up to 50% of a person’s net income can be withheld. Extreme measures, like jail time, are available if the person has repeatedly ignored requests for payment and has dodged withholding orders.

Contact The Law Office of Robert S. Sunshine, P.C. Today

Once a court order is not followed, you want to try to remedy the situation with your ex-spouse. Otherwise, they can be held in contempt of court. The Law Office of Robert S. Sunshine, P.C. has experience dealing with enforcement issues. Punishment can range from a warning to incarceration. We’ll work to find the best solutions. Schedule a consultation with a Goshen court order enforcement lawyer. Call (845) 735-1300 or fill out the online form.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn