Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Rockland & Westchester County Divorce Lawyer > Goshen Post-Divorce Modification Lawyer

Goshen Post-Divorce Modification Lawyer

Is a divorce ever really final? Even after a person receives a final divorce decree, changes can be made to certain parts. That’s because life changes. People relocate. They lose their jobs. They become disabled. These situations can require changes to child custody, child support, alimony, and more. When changes need to be made, the party can file a modification. A modification is a legal order to make changes based on extreme circumstances, such as loss of income, imprisonment, abuse, or relocation.

Get help from a Goshen post-divorce modification lawyer from The Law Office of Robert S. Sunshine, P.C. We have experience with modifications and can help you get a desirable outcome. Schedule a consultation today.

Types of Post-Divorce Modifications

After a divorce has been finalized, you can make modifications to the following:

  • Child custody. This modification involves changes to the custody arrangement for minor children. It can include adjustments to physical custody or legal custody. Reasons for seeking a custody modification may include changes in the child’s needs, relocation of one parent, or concerns about the child’s safety.
  • This modification pertains to changes in the visitation schedule or parenting time plan. A modification may be requested due to changes in the parents’ or children’s circumstances, such as work schedule changes, relocation, or the child’s needs.
  • Child support. This modification involves a change in the amount of child support payments. This can occur when there is a significant change in the financial circumstances of either parent, such as a job loss or a substantial increase or decrease in income.
  • Alimony may be subject to modification if there are substantial changes in the financial situation of either spouse. This can include changes in income, job loss, retirement, or remarriage.

Child Relocation

Many child custody orders and agreements address relocation. If your child custody order does not address relocation, the custodial parent will have to ask the court for permission to relocate. The court will decide whether the relocation is in the best interest of the child. The court will consider the following:

  • Each parent’s reasons for seeking the relocation or fighting against the relocation
  • The child’s relationship with each parent
  • The impact relocation will have on the child’s future contact with the non-custodial parent and any other children
  • The degree to which the relocation may make the child’s life better, including financially, emotionally, and educationally
  • The ability to maintain a good relationship between the non-custodial parent and the child

Contact The Law Office of Robert S. Sunshine, P.C. Today

Divorces are never really final. Changes can be made anytime after a divorce under the right circumstances. The Law Office of Robert S. Sunshine, P.C. understands the need for modifications. We know that people desire long-lasting and cost-effective solutions in this area. Call (845) 735-1300 or fill out the online form to schedule a consultation with a Goshen post-divorce modification lawyer.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn