Rockland County Mediation Lawyer
Mediation is an option many couples use to resolve their disputes and reach an agreement that is favorable to both sides. During mediation, an objective mediator who is a neutral third party meets with the couple to determine their situation, understand the goals of each side, and help them arrive at solutions that are beneficial for each of them. If you are getting a divorce or have another family law issue, our Rockland County mediation lawyer can help you through the process and ensure you reach a fair agreement.
Benefits of Mediation
Mediation has many benefits for parties going through a dispute and they are as follows:
- Cheaper: Taking a family matter to court is the most expensive way to resolve a dispute. Mediation is much less costly because it does not involve court fees and other costs associated with litigation.
- Faster: Unlike a court battle, which can take months and sometimes even years, mediation is usually over within a matter of weeks.
- Confidential: Family matters resolved in court become a matter of public record while anything said during mediation remains confidential.
- Control: In court, a judge will make all the final decisions and there is nothing either party can do about it if they do not agree with them. During mediation, the couple retains total control over the process and makes all the decisions.
Issues to Resolve During Mediation
Mediation is used for many purposes and can resolve multiple legal issues. In family law, the issues most commonly resolved through mediation include:
- Child custody and parenting plans
- Child support
- Property division
- Spousal support
- Legal separation
Is Mediation Right for You?
Mediation is a fast and cost-effective way to resolve your disputes, but it is not for everyone. Mediation works well when both parties are able to advocate for what is most valuable to them. In order for mediation to work, both parties also have to be willing to cooperate, communicate, and compromise with each other.
Mediation will not work when there is an unfair balance of knowledge or power between the two parties. For example, if there was a history of domestic violence, mediation will not likely work because one person is in a position of authority over the other. Or, if one party handled the finances during the marriage and did not inform the other of their financial situation, mediation may also not be appropriate.
Call Our Mediation Lawyer in Rockland County Today
If you have a family legal dispute, there is more than one way to resolve it. At the Law Office of Robert S. Sunshine, our Rockland County mediation lawyer can help you through the process and ensure your rights are upheld throughout it. Our seasoned attorney will also negotiate aggressively with the other side to make sure you receive the fair settlement you are entitled to. Call us today at 845.735.1300 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our experienced attorney and to learn more about how we can help with your case.